Daily Archives: January 9, 2018

Sebastien Loeb takes his first stage win of the 2018 Dakar Rally

Sebastien Loeb held off Peugeot team-mate Carlos Sainz to win his first stage of the 2018 Dakar Rally, as Stephane Peterhansel held on to lead overall after the fourth stage

See the entire article at

MotoGP warned six-way rider market salary war could erupt for 2019

Yamaha team boss Lin Jarvis says MotoGP’s six manufacturers must take action to ensure that a spending war does not break out between them in future

See the entire article at

Ex-Audi boss: Mercedes DTM exit clears obstacle in Super GT tie-up

Former Audi motorsport chief Dr Wolfgang Ullrich says Mercedes’ impending DTM exit will allow for an even closer tie-up with Japan’s Super GT series

See the entire article at

The Weeknd Parts Ways With H&M Over “Deeply Offensive” Advert

The Weeknd (real name Abel Tesfaye) has cut ties with Swedish clothing giant H&M in response to an advertisement which has left him “shocked” and “deeply offended”.

The Canadian singer-songwriter took to Twitter today to announce that he’d kicked the retailer to the curb in response to a photo from its website which featured a black child modelling a green hoodie emblazoned with the phrase “coolest monkey in the jungle”.

“Woke up this morning shocked and embarrassed by this photo,” The Grammy-winner told his 8 million Twitter followers. “I’m deeply offended and will not be working with @hm anymore…”

H&M has since apologised for the photo, saying in a statement, “We sincerely apologize for offending people with this image of a printed hooded top.

“The image has been removed from all online channels and the product will not be for sale in the United States. We believe in diversity and inclusion in all that we do and will be reviewing all our internal policies accordingly to avoid any future issues.”

The company is still selling the hoodie on its website, but the image of the black child wearing it has been removed.

The Weeknd had been collaborating with H&M on his own XO clothing label, and had previously performed at some of the brand’s fashion shows.

And he’s not the only musical icon to give H&M a serve over their culturally tone deaf advertisement. The Roots drummer Questlove also called out the retail giant for a lack of ethnic diversity at the corporate level, saying: “All this tells me about @HM is that the seats in the boardroom lack something…wanna take a guess?”

You don’t need to have a lick of fashion sense to know that racial insensitivity is never a good look, y’all.

The post The Weeknd Parts Ways With H&M Over “Deeply Offensive” Advert appeared first on theFashionSpot.

The entire article can be viewed

COMMENTARY: Money Helps, But Talent Is Still King

It’s a top water-cooler topic across NASCAR Nation these days; the ongoing battle between money and talent in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series.
Some observers – including many longtime fans of the sport – believe that the almighty dollar has supplanted driving talent in determining NASCAR’s Sunday afternoon starting grid. And while there is no denying the importance of financing, a simple examination of the MENCS roster reveals far more wheelmen than sugar babies.
MENCS champion Martin Truex, Jr. made good use of family money early in his career, campaigning family-backed entries all the way to what is now the NASCAR K&N Pro Series. From then on, however, the New Jersey native has made his way solely on talent, winning a pair of Xfinity Series titles for Dale Earnhardt, Inc., before being promoted to the Cup ranks with DEI, Michael Waltrip Racing and Furniture Row Racing.
Runner-up Kyle Busch began modestly in the Legends Car ranks in his native Las Vegas, before advancing to NASCAR’s Southwest Tour. He brought little or no money to that series, but immediately displayed a level of talent sufficient to gain the attention of NASCAR owner Jack Roush. The same story can be told for older brother Kurt Busch, who climbed an identical ladder on his way to NASCAR stardom, there 2004 Cup Series championship and a win in last year’s Daytona 500.
Harvick brought nothing but talent
Last year’s third-place finisher, Kevin Harvick, came to national prominence by winning the 1998 NASCAR Winston West title for Spears Motorsports, an operation owned by Wayne and Connie Spears. Harvick was hired solely for his driving talent and brought no money to the dance. That talent eventually made him the heir-apparent at Richard Childress Racing when Dale Earnhardt lost his life on the final lap of the 2001 Daytona 500.
Brad Keselowski finished fourth in the 2017 MENCS standings, and his family’s racing story is well known. His parents, Bob and Kay Keselowski, mortgaged the family home on multiple occasions to keep their family owned race team afloat, before finally closing the doors for good in 2006. Keselowski’s big break came when Germain Racing tabbed him to replace the suspended Ted Musgrave in a 2007 Truck Series race at Memphis Motorsports Park, where he won the pole, led 62 laps and contended for the win. That performance convinced Dale Earnhardt, Jr. to put Keselowski in his No. 88 Nationwide Series Chevrolet, where he won the 2010 championship. Today, he is a perennial title contender for Team Penske. 
Hamlin: from humble roots.
Denny Hamlin came from similarly humble roots. He began racing go-karts at age seven, eventually progressing to the Mini Stock and Late Model Stock ranks at Langley (VA) Speedway. Hamlin won 35 LMS races in just two seasons, including 25 victories in 36 starts in 2003. That was more than enough to earn him a driver development deal with Joe Gibbs Racing, an opportunity on which Hamlin has clearly capitalized.
Kyle Larson was a top threat for last year’s MENCS title, eventually finishing eighth in points. “Young Money” raced his way to NASCAR through the USAC Open Wheel ranks, winning Sprint Car and Midget races at a clip that quickly got him noticed in the NASCAR garage. Like Jeff Gordon and Ryan Newman before him, Larson made it to NASCAR without buying a single full-fendered seat, making his way to the top on talent, and talent alone.
Of the 16 drivers who qualified for last year’s playoffs, only three – Truex, Chase Elliott and Ryan Blaney – can be said to have benefitted significantly from the presence of family money. The rest got there the old fashioned way.
They earned it.
Edwards was willing to beg
For every winless rich kid floundering around in the middle of the XFINITY or Camping World Truck Series pack, there are a dozen drivers like Clint Bowyer — who got his call to the big time while sanding Bondo in a two-bay auto body shop – and Carl Edwards, who famously handed out business cards begging team owners to give him an opportunity behind the wheel.
For every hapless newcomer with a ton of cash and no clue what to do with it, there is a Ricky Stenhouse, Jr., Erik Jones or Chris Buescher, all of whom came to NASCAR with nothing but talent, then attracted top-dollar sponsorship by running consistently at the front of the pack.
There is no denying that Paul Menard’s career – including his win in the 2011 Brickyard 400 — has been bolstered by the presence of family money and the constant guarantee of full-season sponsorship. Danica Patrick struggled through five winless Cup campaigns, assisted by the presence of high-dollar sponsorship.
Money has always played an important role in determining who wins and loses on Sunday afternoon. Richard Petty and David Pearson possessed awesome driving talent, but also benefitted from substantial sponsorship, factory backing and immense technological support. G.C. Spencer, Elmo Langley and James Hilton could also twist a pretty wheel, but never had the resources to compete with the big dogs. Some things never change.

In the end, an honest assessment of the NASCAR roster proves that driving talent remains the most important form of currency.

Article Source Here:

A Strange Yet Promising New Bed Bug Treatment Is Being Developed

A Strange Yet Promising New Bed Bug Treatment Is Being DevelopedBed Bugs

Bed bugs are nasty critters that are hard to get rid of. Unfortunately, without proper knowledge and equipment, people cannot eradicate bed bug infestations on their own. Once an infestation is located, pest control professionals must be notified. Pest control technology is enough to eradicate bed bug infestations, but the effort it takes to eradicate bed bug infestations is nevertheless trying for professionals. However, a new form of bed bug control is being developed. This particular form of bed bug control started as the result of a dubious form of bed bug eradication. But now, it has been determined that this questionable form of bed bug control can be used to develop effective bed bug traps. This particular form of bed bug control could become a game changer in the current global war against bed bugs.

Researchers at the University of California, Irvine and the University of Kentucky are developing a bed bug trap that shows bed bugs no mercy. The material being synthetically developed involves trapping bed bugs in spiky hairs. Once a bed bug makes contact with this new material, sharp hairs penetrate the insects feet. This material will likely stop the bloodsucking critters in their tracks. Not even bed bugs can adapt to survive this particularly brutal form of bed bug extermination. What is interesting is how this material was discovered.

Rumor has it that people living in the Balkans used to use leaves from kidney bean plants as a method of trapping bed bugs. Due to the bed bug scourge overtaking the world today, scientists figured that they had nothing to lose by studying this rumored form of bed bug control. Luckily, the plant leaves inspired scientists to develop a material that mimics kidney bean plant leaves. It turns out that the tiny hairs located on the undersides of kidney bean plant leaves can occasionally work to trap bed bugs. However, using the leaves to clear out infestations would be next to impossible given the small size of the leaves. Luckily, scientists can still use these leaves as a model for a new synthetic material that works in the same manner, and most importantly, it can be made to cover large areas of space.

Do you think that this technology will decrease the frequency of global bed bug infestation reports?

 

 

 

 

The post A Strange Yet Promising New Bed Bug Treatment Is Being Developed appeared first on Arizona Pest Control.

Read entire article

Video: Concordia – The Throne Room of the Mountain Gods

Earlier today when posting about the Polish winter K2 team I wrote that they had reached Concordia, which is close to where they will establish Base Camp on the mountain. If you’re not familiar with this place, this video will give you a sense of what they are seeing. It is a spectacular point with amazing views of the surrounding mountains, including four 8000-meter peaks – K2, Broad Peak, Nanga…

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

The entire article can be viewed

Google managers kept blacklists of conservative employees — and one manager even considered holding 'trials', alleges a new lawsuit (GOOG, GOOGL)

Google logo office employee

  • Employees at Google who express “conservative viewpoints in politically-charged debates” may find themselves blacklisted by managers at the company, alleges an explosive new lawsuit.
  • And by blacklisted, that means their names may appear on actual lists, the suit contends.
  • Google employees who identify as conservative say they have complained to HR and senior management about the blacklists.
  • These allegations are part of a lawsuit filed on behalf of fired Google engineer James Damore that seeks to represent white males and conservatives who feel like they’ve been the target of discrimination.

A well-known Republican San Francisco lawyer has filed a lawsuit against Google seeking to represent white, male or conservative employees who believe the company has discriminated against them.

The lawyer is Harmeet Dhillon, a partner with the Dhillon Law Group in San Francisco and the former chairwoman of the Republican Party in San Francisco.  

She has been on the hunt for such victims since she took on fired Google engineer James Damore as a client in August. And on Monday she presented the first fruits of her research in a 161-page complaint that’s chock full of allegations and screenshots.

The most jaw-dropping allegation is that “Google publicly endorsed blacklists” of conservatives. The lawsuit claims that several hiring managers publicly vowed not to hire people categorized as “hostile voices” aka conservatives.

For instance, one manager wrote on one internal forum, “I will never, ever hire/transfer you onto my team. Ever.”

Another manager wrote in another, “I keep a written blacklist of people whom I will never allow on or near my team, based on how they view and treat their coworkers. That blacklist got a little longer today.”

The lawsuit cites another post from another hiring manager that said, “If you express a dunderheaded opinion about religion, about politics, or about ‘social justice’, it turns out I am allowed to think you’re a halfwit… I’m perfectly within my rights to mentally categorize you in my [d*ckhead] box… Yes, I maintain (mentally, and not (yet) publicly).”

Interestingly, the lawsuit doesn’t show the statements that provoked such strong reactions from these managers. It only characterizes them as “tactfully expressed conservative viewpoints in politically-charged debates.”

Whether expressing anti-diversity sentiments at a workplace is a protected “conservative viewpoint” or, rather, a form of bigotry that actually creates a hostile environment is at the heart of the case — and it reflects a broader debate gripping the country under the divisive presidency of Donald Trump.

“Something resembling a trial”

The lawsuit shows that in at least one case, a manager (a white woman), was contemplating keeping some kind of actual, public list of employee names.

The manager wrote on an internal post, “I am thinking of something like a google doc that accepts comments, and which calls out those googlers that are unsupportive of diversity,” she wrote.

She wondered, in the post, whether special “trials” should be held for employees nominated for the list, to determine whether they belonged on it or not. 

The lawsuit shows her post as evidence:

Alleged Google blacklist

The lawsuit names other instances, too. It says that conservative employees reported such lists or other attempts to block them and their comments on Google’s internal social media sites to HR who told them that employees have the right to block others or make statements about the type of employees they liked to work with.

The lawsuit says that conservative employees on two occassions in the fall of 2017, also brought the matter of such lists up with Paul Manwell, Google CEO Sundar Pichai’s chief of staff, and to senior lawyer Kent Walker. 

This lawsuit was filed on behalf of Damore, the engineer who created a firestorm last summer with his memo about women in tech and his comments about how Google treats conservatives. It seeks class-action status to represent other white or male or conservatives employees who believe they faced discrimination at Google.

A Google spokesperson says the company is ready to fight this lawsuit, telling us. “We look forward to defending against Mr. Damore’s lawsuit in court.”

SEE ALSO: The engineer fired for his memo about women in tech is suing Google for discrimination over being white, male, and conservative

Join the conversation about this story »

NOW WATCH: Why you should never throw away these bags again

See the entire article at

Nani Roma sustains head and neck injuries in Dakar Rally crash

X-raid Mini driver Nani Roma has sustained head and neck injuries in a crash at the end of the third stage of the 2018 Dakar Rally

See the entire article at